Spring 2021 – What’s happening this term?
In Spring 1, our story books are: ‘Handa’s Surprise’ by Eileen Browne, ‘Meerkat Mail’ by Emily Gravett and ‘Monkey Puzzle’, by Julia Donaldson. In Spring 2, our story books are: ‘Oi Frog’ by Kes Gray, ‘Dogger’ by Shirley Hughes and ‘The Bog Baby’ by Jeanne Willis.
Across the school we have adopted a scheme of work called ‘White Rose Maths’. If you would like more information on White Rose Maths please visit https://whiterosemaths.com. As part of our daily maths lessons, over the Spring 1, we be covering: Number – addition and subtraction to 20 and Place Value – within 20. In Spring 2, we will be covering: Place value – within 50 and Measurement – length and height, weight and volume.
At Dane Bank Primary School, we teach our Geography, History and Science lessons around a learning question for either each half term or term. Through this question we also link other areas of the curriculum e.g. music, art/design.
- Our Science learning question for the Spring term is: ‘Which is your favourite season?’ and ‘Which materials would you use to build an alien spaceship?’.
- Our Geography learning question for Spring 1 is: ‘What will we see on our journey around the world?’.
- Our History learning question for Spring 2 ‘Are iPads more fun than toys from the past?’.
- In our computing sessions, throughout the Spring term, we will be understanding what algorithms are and learning about life online including online safety.
- In our art and design technology sessions we will be creating digital landscape artwork (linked to our Geography Spring 1 unit) making peg dolls (linked to our Spring 2 History unit).
Year 1 Virtual Library
Please follow the link below to take you to the Year 1 Virtual Library. Here you will find all the books that the children will learn about in their English lessons as well as a link to be able to listen to the story at home.
Today, we have had a 'Rainbow themed day' in school and for our remote learning. In English, we wrote about the positives of lockdown, and what we are looking forward to doing when lockdowns over. In Maths, we learnt about symmetry and took part in a skittles symmetry...
Today, we have had lots of fun celebrating World Book Day. We made a fairy tale castle and our own characters out of a potato. We also wrote our own fairy tale stories too!