What’s happening this half term?
Our books for English this half term are: “Handa’s Suprise” “Meerkat Mail” and “Monkey Puzzle”.
We will be exploring capital letters, full stops, questions and exclamation marks through these texts. We will also be looking at how to use prepositions in our writing and recognising rhyme and repitition in stories.
For Maths this half term we are focusing on:
Place value within 40:
– FInding one more and one less.
– Counting within 40 forwards and backwards from any number.
– Identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations.
Addition and subtraction within 20:
– Read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+), subtraction (-) and equals (=).
– Represent and use number bonds and related facts within 20.
– Add and subtract one digit and two digit numbers to 20, including zero.
– Solve one step problems that involve addition and subtraction, using concrete objects and pictorial representations, and missing number problems.
Our science unit for this half term is “Why isn’t everyone afraid of the dark?” Through this unit, we will look at seasonal change including at how daylight changes and how the weather changes. We will be setting up our own weather station to record how rainfall and temperature changes, investigating cloud formation and presenting our own weather forecast.
Our learning challenge for this half term is “What will we see on our journey around the world?” Through this topic, we will be studying continents and oceans, countries and capital cities in the United Kingdom. We will be comparing similarities and differences between human and physical features of Dane Bank Primary School to the Amazon Rainforest. We will also be studying an artist called “Henri Rousseau” and we will be creating our own rainforest artwork based on our study.
Please click on the following link for the Year 1 Autumn term newsletter: Year1 Newsletter If you are unsure of anything please don't hesitate to ask. Miss...
Early Years and Key Stage 1 have been very busy so far this week planning for their Community Café. The children have designed their own theme and name for their café and they have researched what they will need to run a successful café. They have also created...